Saturday, April 2, 2011

Saturday on the Summit

More snow, wind and bitter cold. Now you would think on a day like this one would have enough sense to stay indoors. But noooooooooo... Steve and I ventured out on the observation deck to fully experience the "World's Worst Weather" - twice.

The first time we went out I dressed in full gear, ready for anything. I asked Mike (Finnegin, weather observer) if we needed to take a radio. He smiled and said no. I understand why now. We didn't get further than about 15 ft. from the door. It was about 13 degrees with gusts of 78.6 mph. I can be so exact because of all the high tech instruments right here, just a few feet away from where I was trying to stand against the wind.

The second time we went out I didn't put on as many layers. No need really, since we were only out there a few minutes. We ventured out a little further and I'm already learning some technique for walking in high wind. Again, we had close to 80 mph winds and I was laughing the whole time. What a rush!

This morning we had potato pancakes for breakfast, which Mike made for us from left over mashed potatoes. They were really good and it was really sweet for Mike to treat us to his cooking.

Marty was in rare form this morning. He loves to play, especially since he can't get outside. One gust of wind and he'd be gone! I played with him with a rope and then gave him a good back scratch which he seemed to thoroughly enjoy.

Tonight is Fajita night. I have already done all my prep work, so it should be a breeze. I also made some Pico de Gallo and will finish up making the Guacamole just before dinner. Steve is making Flaming Crepe Suzettes for desert. Yum.

That's all for now from the home of the World's Worst Weather.

Mike making breakfast

Steve enjoying Mike's cooking

Did I mention I made Spinach Cheese Swirls Last night?

Me and my new bud, Marty


Playtime

Too much fun!

Steve

Surfing the wind - I got the technique!

Well, I ain't got it...

No comments:

Post a Comment