Wednesday, August 11, 2010

My last summit sunrise



This morning at 4:20 AM I was in a deep sleep, when Ryan's knock came with another sunrise alert. I had only been soundly asleep since about 3:00 AM. I thought "another one?... already saw one yesterday... I'll just go back to sleep." And to watch the sunrise I would need to bundle up and head out to the observation deck in 45 degree temps and a howling wind. Then I reminded myself that every sunrise is different, it was my last morning here, I can sleep later, and afterall, Ryan went to all the trouble of climbing down the tower stairs to wake me. Well, this morning's sunrise was even prettier. Glad I got up.

It is all quiet here, still very early. I got to hear the tail end of Ryan's radio weather broadcast - he's so professional! Also got a few more Marty pets in. He really is a beauty.

Yesterday we went for another hike, this time down to the Alpine Garden Trail – my new favorite. It required a pretty steep descent on some more big rocks, to be rewarded with the prettiest walk along a big drop off (don't worry, Dad, not too close.) The trail passes through many little meadows, with a spattering of Bluebells, Alpine Goldenrod and Mountain SandwortWe also passed through some little pines, stunted in their growth by the altitude, but with a wonderful fresh piney scent. To return to the summit we headed up another steep rocky slope as the wind picked up and wisps of clouds blew by. Mike gave me a call from the summit to warn us of a thunderstorm system headed our way, and to check our location. He said to be speedy, but be careful. Not so easy to hurry up a rocky slope on tired legs. By the time we got back to the observatory we were in a dense fog, but fortunately never heard any thunder and the storm passed North of us.

Last night's dinner was a another big success - spaghetti and salad. No apple pie, though. We had plenty of sweets left over, and besides, I'd rather hike than bake pie!

My bag is almost packed, need to have to take it upstairs by 7:30 AM, and we will head down sometime this morning. It has been a wonderful visit up here at MWOBS, and as usual in most of my adventures, the best part is the people! Love you guys and thanks for a great time!

No comments:

Post a Comment